They live under your bed. They only come out at night, in the dark, and they come out hungry, ready to feed on the blood of the living. They aren’t monsters, though. These nightly feeders are bed bugs—but while they may not meet the description of the creature from a gothic horror story, they are horrifying enough in their own right. That’s why you need bed bugs extermination in Ottawa when you have an infestation you are struggling to keep under control.
Why do you need a bed bugs exterminator?
You need bed bugs extermination because bed bugs are extremely difficult to get rid of on your own. Especially in Canada, where there are restrictions on the types of pesticides you can purchase over the counter (and rightly so: a lot of the ones that can tackle a bed bug infestation are extremely dangerous for human and pet health, as well, and should not be handled by inexperienced users). The products you do have available to you for your DIY extermination are typically aerosol sprays, diatomaceous earth, borax, bed bug traps, and heat:
- Aerosols are effective when you can see the bed bug and make direct contact with the spray. This is much easier said than done; the biggest problem with bed bugs is that they remain unsees and strike when you aren’t looking at them, so it is extremely difficult to hit them with the spray.
- Diatomaceous earth is an all-natural substance that will cut into the bed bug’s exoskeleton as they walk through it, weakening them. This can be effective, but ultimately the bug has to walk through it to be affected, and it can be hard to place the powder in all the right spots.
- Borax will absorb moisture and dry the bed bug out. It will also kill them if they happen to eat it. But again, it needs to be in the right place at the right time to actually be effective, and with infestation pests, that often just isn’t enough coverage to keep up with their high reproductive cycles.
- Bed bug traps can catch a bed bug; however, since they can only cover so much area, they are often more useful for letting you know that bed bugs are around than for taking down an infestation.
- Heat, as any bed bugs extermination expert in Ottawa will tell you, is the most effective method of treatment. You can put your clothes and bed sheets through the dryer on a high heat setting to kill the bed bugs that are hiding in them, and you can take a steamer to your mattress, box spring, baseboards, and carpeted areas to take out any hiding pests. The problem with DIY heat treatments is that it’s difficult to cover all the areas needed by hand quickly enough to take out all the bugs and eggs, and if one is left unharmed, you’ll be back to an infestation state in no time.
What do you need to know about bed bugs exterminators?
They have the expertise and equipment to clear your home of bed bugs in one go so you don’t have to put all your time and effort into battling the ongoing bed bug war. A bed bugs extermination in Ottawa will do an assessment on your home, recommend the best treatment procedure (whether that be heat or chemical or a combination), carry through with the chosen extermination procedure, and follow up to ensure that the bed bugs have been fully eradicated so you can start sleeping through the night again, worry-free and with no creepy crawlies giving you the nighttime heebie jeebies. Click this link for more information.